About OS-SLDN: Vision & Mission
Freedom to Serve
Mission: OutServe-SLDN empowers, supports, and defends the Department of Defense and military service LGBT community, LGBT veterans, and their families, while working to strengthen our military's culture of inclusion.
We accomplish this mission through the following strategic priorities:
- Providing LGBT service members with unique opportunities for professional development, support, networking, and camaraderie at the local, regional, and national level
- Building local, regional, and national networks of support for LGBT military families;
- Mobilizing and organizing LGBT service members, Department of Defense (DOD) civilians, veterans, their families, and their allies to make unique contributions to the quality of life of our military communities;
- Providing support to LGBT service members, DOD civilians, veterans, and their families facing harassment or discrimination;
- Educating and informing the public on matters related to the service and sacrifice of LGBT military personnel, DOD civilians, veterans, and their families and on the value of a military culture of inclusion;
- Equipping DOD and the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) to create inclusive and respectful command climates and the institutional culture of LGBT inclusion to undergird them;
- Advocating within DOD and DVA for regulatory changes to remove barriers to equal opportunity and equal support;
- Advocating before Congress and the White House for measures that support LGBT service members, veterans, and families, while defending against those that would limit our gains.